Have you ever tried to convince children to eat leafy green vegetables? It’s no simple task and honestly I’m not a champion of forcing children to eat anything against their will no matter how nutritious the food is. It’s a sure fire way to turn children against the pleasure and passion of eating.
The trick is to incorporate leafy greens into other tasty dishes. Gnocchi are a wonderful, delicious way to serve leafy greens to kids.
Kids aside, gnocchi are just plain delicious and these are about my favorite. I love leafy greens and I adore Gorgonzola!
Gnocchi are simple to make and freeze well. Once they’re made cook them then toss in their sauce. Spread the gnocchi on cookie sheets and freeze. After the gnocchi are frozen break them into pieces and store in a ziplock bag.
How many nights have you come home from work and wondered what to make for dinner? Or just not felt like making dinner? Just grab enough gnocchi from the freezer for your meal and heat in the oven or a microwave until warm and sizzling!
Broccoli Rabe & Ricotta Gnocchi with Sage and Creamy Gorgonzola
- 1 kilogram (35 ounces) Broccoli Rabe, or Spinach cleaned, 1 (35 ounces)
- 250 grams (8 3/4 ounces) Ricotta cheese drained, 250 (8 3/4 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams (3 1/2 ounces) Parmesan cheese grated , 100 (3 1/2 ounces)
- 75 grams (2 3/4 ounces) Flour 75 (2 3/4 ounces)
- 100 grams (3 1/2 ounces) Butter 100 (3 1/2 ounces)
- 100 milliliters (1/2 cup) Cream 100 (1/2 cup)
- 75 grams (2 1/2 ounces) Gorgonzola cheese 75 (2 1/2 ounces)
- 10 to 20 leaves Sage finely chopped, 10–20
- Additional Parmesan cheese for garnishing
Sauté the sage in the butter, add the Gorgonzola and cream and cook for a minute over low heat and set aside.
Cook the broccoli Rabe or spinach, drain and squeeze very dry.
Finely chop the cooked greens.
- Mix eggs and ricotta cheese.
Add the greens, flour and half the Parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly.
Roll the dough onto floured surface into long thin rolls and cut into 1 centimetre long pieces.
- Cook in boiling salted water until the gnocchi rise to the top.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place in the sauce. *
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
*Note: At this point the gnocchi can be stored in fridge for next day use or frozen.