Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Grated Parmesan Cheese & Toasted Walnuts is a delightful winter salad and a great way to serve this winter vegetable! I’d never thought of using brussels sprouts raw in a salad but it’s one of the easiest and tastiest ways to use them.
Brussels sprouts are an odd vegetable. Their growing time of four months is double that of large purple and white cabbages. Whereas other veggies in the cabbage family produce one single vegetable, the brussels sprouts plant produces many.
Easy and quick to make, this is a delightful salad alternative!
It’s complicated to slice the brussels sprouts without a food processor, so if you don’t have one I’d strongly suggest you purchase a Cuisinart. This one is available right now at a great price. I’ve had just two Cuisinarts in my forty plus years of cooking. They’re high quality, efficient and robust.
(Note: Purchasing through my link is the SAME price as purchasing directly. The small commission I earn helps support my work to continue bringing you great recipes!)
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Grated Parmesan Cheese & Toasted Walnuts
Brussels Sprouts, trimmed, 2 1/4 pounds
Green onion tops, thinly sliced width-wise, 1/4 cup
Walnuts, a generous handful, gently toasted in a frying pan, 2 ounces
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, 3 tablespoons
Extra virgin olive oil, 4 tablespoons
Lemon juice, freshly squeezed, 1 1/2 tablespoons
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Black pepper, freshly ground 1/2 teaspoon
Using a small jar shake oil, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper together and set aside.
Using a food processor thinly slice the brussels sprouts.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
My friend and food aficionado Kathleen Delgado suggests this variation: Substitute almonds for the walnuts, and add sliced apples…delicious!
- 2 1/4 pounds Brussels Sprouts trimmed
- 1/4 cup Green onion tops thinly sliced width-wise
- 2 ounces Walnuts a generous handful, gently toasted a frying pan
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 4 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper freshly ground
- Using a small jar shake oil, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper together and set aside.
- Using a food processor thinly slice the brussels sprouts.
- Place sprouts in a large serving bowl.
- Add the green onions.
- Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- Top with the toasted walnuts just before serving.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.