As today is Thanksgiving, it seemed to make sense to make some typical Thanksgiving foods in today's cooking class. I'm on an ice cream kick at the moment and I really love pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. Pumpkin pie ice cream was the perfect variation on the traditional Thanksgiving dessert theme. Fresh, pureed pumpkin, cream and sugar plus all the wonderful spices you'd normally see in a pumpkin pie.
Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- 120 ml / ½ cup cream
- 120 ml / ½ cup condensed milk
- 100 grams / ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 160 grams / ¾ cup pumpkin: steamed until tender, pureed and thickenedover a double boiler
- 2 egg yolks
- Whisk together cream, condensed milk, egg yolks, spices, salt and granulated sugar in a small heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over a double boiler, over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not letboil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in pumpkin.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Process mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer to container and freeze.